Friday, July 22, 2011

July 22 - Baker, NV to Ely, NV

Mileage: 65 miles
Terrains: Very Gradual Long Climbs
Temperature: 95 ish degrees
Got up this morning and woke up extremely early due to the time change so went back to bed for an hour or so. Didn’t sleep too well the night before due to it being somewhat windy and not staking down my tent because I had set it up on pavement due to very tall weeds. Started the ride off with a 7 mile descent then started climbing. There were two climbs for the day. The scenery in Nevada isn’t too interesting. There is nothing really to look at. Its desert and the brush is sage green for miles. Half way up the second climb there was a bar that we stopped had and had a drink and a snickers. They didn’t serve food and this was the only thing along the entire route today. The lady working was interesting and told us stories of people who came by. She told us of a man who was trying to go across America on a horse also of a man who was trying to go across carrying a 40 foot cross. Finished climbing the hill and it was 4 miles to the top. The rest of the ride was somewhat downhill to the KOA campground. I was excited to find out that we were staying at the KOA campground because they always have showers and laundry along with wifi. Nice lawn to set your tent on as well. The last couple of days we have also ran into a few other cross country riders as well who are on a similar track to what we are. There are three guys in there 20s who are doing it self contained and then also 5 guys who are supported who are 16ish and are staying in hotels every night. They all have some very good and interesting stories to tell as well as we do. It is just very interesting to see the different ways in order to go cross country. I think that each way provides a very different experience!! Well, I am exhausted as the heat just takes it right out of you. Nite!!

3 comments:

  1. Julie, sorry that you are the convenient "Lab Rat", or "Ginnie Pig" whichever you prefer..LOL.. I am trying to tweek my Blogger sight. You are doing awesome!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok... PS... the two anonymouses were me...and me.. I think I have my blogger set to go.

    ReplyDelete