Wednesday, June 1, 2011

June 1st - Yorktown, VA to Gendale, VA

Mileage: 60ish
Terrain: Pretty Flat
Temperature: 95 degrees
Today at 8:00 AM we dipped our wheel and were on our way. It wasn’t too hot to begin with however it soon became VERY hot as the day went on. We had many stops along the way today two that were provided by the support van to get water and others such as in Jamestown when we got a little bit turned around. Another stop we made as we were riding along was at a small produce market that a lady ran and had signs out for FREE freeze pops so we thought, oh, we better stop and get one!! There was many other times that we stopped to check the map to make sure we were on track. One of the stops that the van and trailer stopped at there was a sub shop so we grabbed lunch there. Needless to say the end of the ride began to get very long as the heat of the day was setting in!! Finally, we arrived at our stop for the night which is a church that is located just outside of Glendale, VA. We get here to find out that they are breaking us in early and there isn’t a shower here  However, we do get to sleep in this building behind the church that is air conditioned so I guess it makes up for not getting a shower!! So I used my water bottles full of water from the bathroom to rinse out my hair and also used baby wipes to clean up. Wasn’t feeling so well as far as cleanliness earlier however, now that I am sitting in air conditioning and have cooled off don’t feel too bad. So for supper there is a convenience store about ½ mile to 1 mile down the road that we are going to pick up some snacks. Everything is going well for the time being and my biggest concern is how I am going to get all of my stuff into my cubby tomorrow morning (I think I may have over packed, but what is new) and then the 80 mile ride tomorrow which I am hoping to leave for when the sun comes up so it will be a bit cooler.

7 comments:

  1. Ahh Julie I hope your having a blast :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you will all be glad to know that mom was jumping out of her seat in excitement when she noticed you posted, then she continued to giggle the entire time she read this! Sounds like you're having an incredible time already! We're all very jealous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is soooo exciting! We are all so jealous of you (well, except for the non-showers and extreme heat temperatures)! I cannot wait to hear about your day tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you made it without incident, aside from no shower. I bet the adrenaline rush is still kicked in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh gosh, that no shower thing is a little scary, especially after knowing how bikers smell ;) I guess you're all in it together though!

    Sleep well and enjoy the ride tomorrow . . . you are only getting stronger and . . . well, you're tough!

    Just keep on pedaling ;)
    Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. Showers are highly over rated....at least you don't have to put up a tent! seen that done pretty funny!! Dave

    ReplyDelete