Sunday, June 5, 2011

June 5th – Vasuvius, VA to Troutsville, VA

Mileage: 65ish miles
Terrain: Rolling Hills
Temperature: 85 ish degrees
So last night I woke up in the middle of the night and it was raining and thundering!! It was so weird to hear the thunder down in the hills of VA. It sounded nothing like in Ohio, the noise echoed through the trees!! Ruby and I took off at about 8:00 am and the first 20 miles where a gradual downhill so easy riding and they were gorgeous, words or pictures do no justice to what is really out here!! Then we saw the van and trailer at the first rest stop which was in Lexington a cute small little town and we all stopped at a coffee shop and had coffee and bagels. There are a lot of coffee drinkers on this trip! It is really nice to have the van and trailer at scheduled stops due to all of our gear/luggage and food being available to us along the way. We also have what we call the pantry otherwise known as a food cubby to keep food in because there are many times there are not places to stop for food and it also saves money so you don’t have to eat out all the time. We then filled up on water and kept moving along. The next rest stop was at a gas station that we saw the van and trailer and we sat under a shade tree for a while and filled up with water and then moved on the Buchanan, VA and here we all stopped at a small mom and pop restaurant and ate. Well it just happened that they had a two man band playing on this Sunday afternoon, so we chilled out on their patio for a few hours and listened to them for a while knowing that at this point we only had an easy 20 miles till Troutville, VA where we are staying tonight. I was pre warned that there were no showers at this park but restrooms. I am always the first to ask, “Is there showers there?” However, once we rolled in I was informed that the firehouse across the street was so gracious to let us use their showers!! I was SOOO excited after not having a shower last night!! So once we pulled into Troutville we had noticed that the sky was getting pretty dark so we hurried to set up our tents and then took a glorious shower!! I then ate some food that one of my fellow riders girlfriends had brought us to eat and now am sitting in front of the firehouse due to wi-fi being available and an outlet I found on the outside of the building!! So as I am sitting here I hear a train right by the park blowing its whistle and think oh great I get to hear that during the night and it reminds me that there was also a train last night, must be the trend!

No comments:

Post a Comment