Monday, June 13, 2011

June 13th - Booneville, KY to Berea, KY

Mileage: 50
Terrain: Hilly
Temperature: 77 ish degrees
Got up this morning got my tent all packed up and got on the road at about 7:45 am knowing that it was going to be a short day of only 50 miles. There was some confusion getting out of town due to a detour however, we got directions that were better and shorter than the detour from a local. We felt that this detour that we think should be part of the Adventure Cycling route however; Adventure Cycling doesn’t want to change it because it has been part of the route since 1976. It was still a very hilly ride throughout the day however; the hills are not as tall as some of the previous ones. We had only one rest stop today, where I stopped filled up with water and had a popsicle. Also got chased by many dogs today I think the total count is somewhere around 10 now. There are tons of dogs here many on chains, many who stand beside the road and bark, many on chains, many behind fences, many who just lay there and stare and many more who feel the need to chase you and growl and bite at your foot and or wheel. There was once time that I had 4 dogs on my wheel. We then moved on did a few more climbs and then finally got to the top of our last climb stopped at the top and one of the girls I have been riding with pulled over with me because I was getting hungry. I stopped and asked her “So do you think we have 3G service yet?” We were only about 5 miles out from Berea which has a much larger population than most of the towns we have been staying in. So we both pulled our phones out of our handlebar bags looked and were overjoyed with excitement!! Finally, service, which we haven’t had in a mere 2 days!! We then descended our last hill out of Bighill, KY and arrived in Berea where we are tenting at their firehouse. Berea seems to be a nicer town than some of the ones we have gone through thus far in KY, however, it is still a dry county as many are that we have gone through. There was also a detour getting into Berea however, we got a tweet with twitter from one of the guides and made it into town with no problems. Got to camp and turned around with some of the others and rode about a mile back into town and ate at a pizza place that had great pizza. Chilled out there and then came back here got a lovely shower and set up my tent. Today is a much cooler day and we got in much earlier than normally. Tomorrow however, is going to be a much longer day with 90 miles so we must get on the road earlier.

4 comments:

  1. The dogs would do me in. Yikes! You know I am a coward. Ride Julie, Ride! Helene

    ReplyDelete
  2. A dry county? What are you doing on all of your stops...just kidding! I'm glad you have service now...and we're glad you were able to post all of your blogs! Keep having fun! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm starting to think your gonna get fat on this trip with all the eating your doing! I'm afraid I'm not gonna recognize you in Colorado! Keep having fun and eating lots! Love you!
    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man-o-man... ya pampered kids today... gotta have that 3G phone service, eh!?.. LOL... That's okay, cause when I get up in the Tetons this summer, I intend on having my GPS/phone and solar hookup...along with rechargeable batteries.. ahhhhh the comforts of life! 90 miles. wowsers..lesseee the topo... gonna have some hills.. You are awesome!!

    ReplyDelete