Thursday, June 30, 2011

June 30th - Nickerson, KS to Larned, KS

Mileage: 58 miles
Terrain: Flat
Temperature: 105 degrees
Got up this morning and thankfully didn’t have to pack up my tent! Was on the road by 7:00 and we had 58 miles to ride. There were no services along the way and so they provided us with water stops every 20 miles. We hopped on one road and rode it west the entire way there!! The wind was from the south to southwest so it really wasn’t in our favor and we didn’t make that good of time. We didn’t really stop at the two rest stops long. We saw a lot of open pastures and as we were riding along in the distance saw a cow along the road out of the fence. Got my camera out and was getting ready to take a picture and as we got closer realized that it was a bull. I was scared; however, it didn’t do anything but look at us and keep eating the grass. I was rather bored so in a 20 mile stretch I decided to count cars and there were 27 total that went by us. We would look at trees ahead of us and guess how many miles it would be until we reached them. You can see for miles and miles. Finally, after a slow and hot 58 miles we arrived in Larned, KS where there was a swimming pool. Sat around at the park for awhile and then walked across the street to the pool, spent some time there and then got my laundry together because the van brought our laundry to the Laundromat and then we rode our bikes there to do it. We also had to take everything out of the trailer as they are going to sweep and clean it this afternoon. I think that I will probably go back to the pool later on and then maybe shower as I want to wait until it cools down. Thinking about going to the Sonic in a bit to get a delicious milkshake!!

5 comments:

  1. First dogs, now bulls! Not for this girl! Good thing you can ride fast if you need to. I wonder how fast a bull can run. I hope this is the last of the animals on your journey. Helene

    ReplyDelete
  2. A milkshake! Now that's a shocker! With all this time in the pool I would think you would be super tan...or maybe just one giant freckle! See you in 4 days!!!love you-Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the very best thing would be the small amount of stress - like, your stress for the day would be "oh, there's a bull by the road" or "this is such a difficult decision, should I have a Reece's or Chocolate milkshake", or "oh no, there's not a shower, now I have to find a garden hose." Of course, there are those big decisions like "now just how many miles is it to those trees???" Enjoy these stress free days!

    Love you! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Helene, in colorado we might see some bears!!!
    Natalie, I think I'm just one giant freckle!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhhh the plainly speaking.... the plains are like the dog days of summer, they are like the area of ocean, when one sails, of having no wind called "The Doldrums". Julie.... break the monotony of this time. That bull was there for one purpose, and one purpose ONLY.... COW TIPPING!!!!!! Now, the next time you see one... get a group of riders and see how many you can tip over! Break that monotony! (this blog reply was not endorsed by, or approved by the ASPCA, nor PETA, nor FEMA, nor NASA)

    ReplyDelete